Recipe: Easy Thai Chicken Coconut Soup (Tom Kha Gai)
This thin, slightly spicy Thai-inspired soup can be made almost entirely with dried ingredients from your spice cabinet.
- 1 oz. Dehydrated Oyster Mushrooms
- 6 cups cold water
- 1 Muslin Bag*
- 3 Tbsp. Lemongrass
- 1 Tbsp. Cracked Galangal Root
- 1 Tbsp. Dried Cilantro
- 4 Dried Thai Chiles (optional)
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes*
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into ¼-inch strips
- 3 skinless chicken thighs (either bone-in or boneless)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk powder*
- 2 Tbsp. Thai Green Curry
- 1 cup warm water
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh sliced green onion
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- lime slices
*The following ingredients can be substituted:
- Use 3 oz. fresh chopped oyster mushrooms in place of dehydrated mushrooms.
- Use cheesecloth or large spice/tea ball in place of the muslin bag.
- Use 6 cups of chicken stock/broth in place of 6 cups cold water and omit bouillon cubes.
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk plus ½ cup water can replace 1/2 cup coconut milk powder.
- Add an 8 oz. can of sliced bamboo with the bell peppers for more texture.
If you're avoiding sodium, just cut the salt out of this recipe and use a low- or no-sodium chicken stock.
Break oyster mushrooms into 1/2-inch pieces. Fill a large soup pot with the cold water and the mushrooms. Heat over medium-low until gently simmering. Fill muslin bag with lemongrass, galangal, cilantro, and chiles (if using) to create a spice packet. Once pot is simmering, add bouillon cubes, spice packet, red bell peppers, and chicken thighs. Place a lid on the pot and simmer over low heat for 20 to 30 min. until chicken is cooked through. Mix coconut milk powder with Thai Green Curry and the warm water; set aside. Remove spice packet and chicken thighs from the pot and shred chicken with forks. Slowly stir coconut milk mixture into the soup. Add shredded chicken back to the pot. Season with salt to taste. Serve hot garnished with fresh green onion and cilantro (if using).
Serve with a side of rice or fresh baked bread.