Eggplant Crunch-Burgers with Alabama White Mustard Sauce Recipe
4 regular burgers or 8 sliders
For Alabama White mustard sauce:
- 1/4 cup Alabama White Barbecue Sauce
- 1/4 cup Pickled Mustard Seeds (or 3 Tbsp. whole grain or Dijon mustard)*
For Eggplant burgers:
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and cubed (approximately 8 cups)
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp. Santa Maria Sea Salted BBQ Rub
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 slice Swiss cheese per burger
For toppings and Assembly:
- 4 regular burger buns or 8 slider buns
- 3 to 4 basil leaves per burger
- 1/4 cup caramelized or pickled onions
- 4 to 6 potato chips per burger
Add all Savory items to cart
*Check out our easy recipe for Pickled Mustard Seeds.
For mustard sauce: Mix Alabama White Barbecue Sauce with Pickled Mustard Seeds and set aside.
For burgers: In a large skillet nonstick skillet, heat 2 Tbsp. of the oil over medium-high heat. Add eggplant and saute until very soft and browned, 12 to 15 min., stirring often. Transfer eggplant to a large bowl and mash with a potato masher until there are no large pieces and the texture is closer to mush. Mix in shallots, cheeses, Gourmet Santa Maria, and panko. Form into 4 large or 8 small burger patties. Place patties back in the bowl, cover, and refrigerate for 30 min. In the same skillet, heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil over medium-high heat. Add burgers and cook for 4 to 5 min. per side. After flipping, top with a slice of cheese and cover skillet.
For toppings and assembly: Place basil leaves on bottom of each bun and set an eggplant burger on the basil. Top burger first with onions, then mustard sauce, and finally with potato chips and the bun top. Serve right away.
Adapted from onegreenplanet.org