Eggplant Crunch-Burgers with Dijon Dill Sauce Recipe
4 regular burgers or 8 sliders
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. Dill Dip
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and cubed (about 8 cups)
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp. Santa Maria Sea Salted BBQ Rub
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 slice Havarti cheese per burger (optional)
- 4 regular burger buns or 8 slider buns
- 1 bunch fresh dill
- 3 to 4 Salt & Vinegar Potato Chips per burger*
*Check out our recipe for easy, homemade Salt & Vinegar Potato Chips.
This recipe is featured in Spice Club, Savory’s spice of the month club. Here are substitution suggestions for adapting the recipe to different palates:
- Vegan: Use a vegan mayonnaise and use vegan versions of mozzarella, Parmesan, and Havarti (or similar).
- Gluten-free: Use gluten-free bread crumbs and gluten-free burger buns.
- Vegetarian: No substitutions necessary.
For spread: Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate until ready to use.
For burgers: In a large nonstick skillet with a lid, heat 2 Tbsp. of the oil over medium-high heat. Add eggplant and saute until very soft and browned, 12 to 15 min., stirring often. Transfer to a large bowl and mash with a potato masher, large fork, or wooden spoon until there are no more large pieces and the texture is closer to mush. Mix in shallots, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses, Gourmet Santa Maria, and panko. Form 4 large or 8 small burger patties. Place patties back in the bowl, cover, and refrigerate for 30 min. In the same skillet, heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil over medium-high heat. Add burgers and cook for 4 to 5 min. on one side. Flip burgers and top each with a slice of Havarti cheese if using. Cover skillet and cook for 4 to 5 more min.
To assemble: Place a few sprigs of dill on the bottom bun and set an eggplant burger on the dill. Top burger with spread then add potato chips and bun top. Repeat with remaining burgers.
Savory Spice Test Kitchen