Eggplant Enchilado Recipe
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. Ancho Chile Powder
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Onion & Garlic Tableside Sprinkle
For fried eggplant:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp. Ancho Chile Powder
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled
- vegetable oil for frying
- 8 oz. Enchilado or Muenster cheese, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. crumbled Cotija cheese
- Fresh chopped cilantro, to garnish
Add all Savory items to cart
This recipe is featured in Spice Club, Savory's spice-of-the-month club. Here are some substitution options:
- Gluten-Free: Use an all-purpose gluten-free flour mix and gluten-free breadcrumbs.
- Vegan: Use an egg substitute and vegan cheese that is suitable for melting.
For sauce: In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat and stir in ancho. Stir constantly for about 1 min., then reduce heat to low. Add tomato sauce and Onion & Garlic Tableside Sprinkle. Simmer on low, stirring occasionally, for about 10 min.
For fried eggplant: Mix flour, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Place eggs in a second bowl. Combine panko, cornmeal, and ancho in a third bowl. Slice 12 (1/4-inch thick) rounds of eggplant. Fill a heavy skillet with about 1/2 inch of oil and heat over medium-high heat. Coat eggplant slices in flour, then dip into egg mixture, then coat in panko. In batches, fry eggplant slices 3 to 4 min. on one side, then turn and fry 2 to 3 more min. on the other side. Once eggplant is a deep golden brown color on both sides, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
For assembly: Preheat oven to broil. Place the 4 largest slices of fried eggplant in an ovenproof dish. Spread a layer of sauce on each slice and cover with slices of cheese. Continue layering eggplant (largest to smallest), sauce, and cheese until each stack is 3 slices high. Top each stack with an additional layer of sauce, sprinkle with Cotija cheese. Place under broiler for 1 to 2 min. Once cheese is melted and browned slightly, remove from oven and sprinkle with cilantro before serving.
Savory Spice Test Kitchen