Fall Farro Risotto Recipe
Active Prep: 10 min
Cook: 1 hour
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 3 tsp. Poultry Seasoning, divided
- 1 1/2 cups farro, rinsed*
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 3 to 4 small parsnips, diced*
- 2 to 3 medium carrots, diced
- 2 Turkish Bay Leaves
- 2 cups sliced baby bella mushrooms (about 8 oz.)
- 1 1/2 tsp. Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp. La Baleine Fine French Sea Salt
- 3 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
Add all Savory items to cart
*You can substitute farro with brown rice, wheat berries, or pearled barley. Follow cooking directions on package for those grains. Try other fall vegetables like acorn squash or pumpkin in place of parsnips.
Bring broth and water to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir in 1 tsp. of the Poultry Seasoning. Add farro and simmer, uncovered, until all of the liquid is gone, about 25 min. Farro should be tender but chewy. Let stand off heat, covered, until ready to stir into veggies. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven or stockpot, heat oil over medium-low heat and add onion, parsnips, carrots, and bay leaves. Cook until softened, about 20 min. Add mushrooms, garlic, salt, and remaining 2 tsp. Sage & Savory. Continue to cook for 15 min. Remove bay leaves and stir in cooked farro and additional salt to taste. Let sit for about 15 min. Stir in spinach leaves and feta just before serving, or finish with feta crumbled on top.
Serve warm or at room temperature with a side of crusty Italian bread.
Cindy Jones, Savory Spice—Raleigh, NC owner