Gator Bites with Swamp Sauce Recipe
For gator spice blend:
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Mayan Sea Salt
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Onion & Garlic Tableside Sprinkle
- 2 1/2 tsp. Smoked Spanish Sweet Paprika
- 1 tsp. Cayenne Chile Powder
- 1 tsp. Rubbed Sage
For swamp sauce:
- 1/4 cup Aleppo Pepper Hot Sauce
- 3 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. gator spice blend
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
For gator bites:
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 4 Tbsp. gator spice blend, divided
- 2 lbs. alligator tail, diced into 1-inch cubes
- Vegetable oil, to fry
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
Add all Savory items to cart
*Cooked alligator should reach a minimum internal temperature of 160 degrees.
For gator spice blend: In a small bowl, add all spice blend ingredients and whisk to combine. Reserve.
For swamp sauce: In a medium bowl, combine Aleppo Hot Sauce, mayonnaise, 1 Tbsp. gator spice blend, honey, ketchup, and Worcestershire Sauce.
For gator bites: In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk and 2 Tbsp. gator spice blend. Marinate alligator in buttermilk mixture on counter for 30 min. In a Dutch oven, heat 4 to 5 inches of vegetable oil to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together flour and 2 Tbsp. gator spice blend. Remove alligator from marinade and shake off excess. Dredge alligator pieces in flour mixture and fry in oil for 4 to 5 min. or until golden brown and crispy*. Remove from oil and drain on a clean paper towel. Serve with swamp sauce.
Miranda Barnett, Savory Spice Test Kitchen