Recipe: Golden Beet and Parsnip Soup
A heavenly, creamy soup made with sweet root vegetables, thyme, and floral Saffron Salt!
- 4 parsnips, peeled, trimmed, and chopped
- 10 baby or 4 large golden beets, peeled, trimmed, and chopped
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. Saffron Salt*
- 1/2 tsp. Premium French Thyme
- 1/2 tsp. Crushed Brown Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 cup heavy cream**
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Hot chile oil to garnish**
*Saffron Salt is a Limited-Time Offer for February 2018. Need to pick some up? Order online or visit your local store!
**In the Test Kitchen, we made our own simple chile oil by combining 1/4 cup canola oil, 1/4 tsp. Crushed Aleppo Chiles, 1/4 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper, and 1/2 tsp. Minced Garlic, then let it sit for 24 hours before using. You can also use your favorite bottled hot chile oil! Use coconut cream instead of heavy cream for a vegan version of this soup.
In a large pot, add parsnips, golden beets, broth, Saffron Salt, thyme, and mustard seeds. Cover and cook over medium heat for 25 to 30 min., or until vegetables are quite soft. Use an immersion blender to blend mixture until very smooth. Alternatively, use a blender to puree the cooked vegetables and broth in batches. Stir in cream and black pepper to taste. Serve warm with a drizzle of hot chile oil and an extra sprinkle of black pepper.