Recipe: Grilled Confetti Slaw
A mix of colorful cabbage and mini sweet peppers are grilled for a bit of char flavor and seasoned with a Southwestern inspired dressing of coriander, cumin, and chipotle.
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice and grated zest of 1 lime
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Coriander Seeds
- 1/4 tsp. Organic Ground Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Chipotle Chiles
- 1/4 tsp. Coarse Black Malabar Pepper
- 1 small head red cabbage, quartered
- 1 small head green cabbage, quartered
- 10 to 12 mini sweet peppers
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Adapted from Chris Prieto’s recipes for Central Texas Slaw and Grilled Confetti Coleslaw in Southern Living’s Ultimate Book of BBQ.
For dressing: Whisk all ingredients together in a large bowl until combined. Set aside.
For slaw: Preheat grill to medium-high. Brush cabbage pieces with olive oil. Toss peppers with oil. Set cabbage pieces and peppers on grill and grill 2 to 3 min. per side until just charred. Remove from heat. Once cool, thinly slice cabbage and cut peppers into thin rounds and add to bowl with dressing. Add remaining ingredients and toss. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Serve with your favorite BBQ fare.