Recipe: Grilled Mongolian Beef
Take your favorite steak seasoning in an Asian direction with this quick weeknight meal idea.
For the beef:
- 1 lb. flank steak
- 1 Tbsp. steak-friendly seasoning such as:
- Mt. Massive Steak Seasoning
- Red Cloud Peak Seasoning
- Native Texan BBQ Rub
For the sauce:
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (or tamari)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 tsp. Dehydrated Minced Garlic (or 2 fresh cloves garlic, minced)
- 1 tsp. fresh minced ginger
- 1/2 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper
- salt & pepper for seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. Organic "True" Arrowroot (or corn starch)
- 4 scallions, sliced on the bias into 1-inch pieces
For the beef: Fire up the grill to medium-high. Season steak with Mt. Massive (or other steak seasoning of choice). Place steak on grill and cook to desired temperature. Remove steak and let rest for 5 min. Cut grilled steak, across the grain, into thin strips and set aside.
For the sauce: Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and saute for 2 to 3 min. Whisk together soy sauce, honey, garlic, ginger, crushed red pepper flakes, and a pinch of salt and pepper until thoroughly incorporated. Pour mixture over sauteed onions and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; add arrowroot and whisk until incorporated and the sauce has thickened, 1 to 2 min. Stir in grilled beef strips and remove from heat. Serve immediately topped with scallions.
Serve over your choice of cauliflower rice, white or brown rice, or noodles.