Recipe: Grilled Veggie BBQ Pizza
There's nothing better than pizza right off the grill! You get a bit of char and smoky flavor that you just can't replicate in the oven. We grill both the pizza dough and the veggie toppings separately. Then we use one of our small batch barbecue sauces instead of a traditional tomato sauce. Perfect for veggie lovers and barbecue lovers alike.
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced
- 1 (14 oz.) can quartered artichoke hearts
- 2 or 3 portobello mushroom caps, sliced
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. aged balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze, optional
- 1 to 2 tsp. Salt & Pepper Tableside Seasoning
- 1 recipe Pizza Dough for Grilling, or enough pizza dough for 3 (10- to 12-inch) pizzas*
- 3/4 cup choice of Savory Small Batch BBQ Sauce:
- Midwestern Sweet Barbecue Sauce
- Woody’s Sweet & Tangy Barbecue Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mozzarella, cheddar, or smoked gouda cheese
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, for garnish
*Try our recipe for homemade Pizza Dough for Grilling, or use your favorite pizza dough. Don’t slice the veggies too thin; you want them to be thick enough to hold up to grilling but thin enough to easily bite through them on a pizza.
Preheat grill to medium-high while you prepare the veggies. Toss veggies with olive oil to lightly coat. Toss mushroom caps with balsamic if desired. Sprinkle all veggies with salt & pepper. Grill veggies either directly on the grill if your grates are narrow or in a grilling basket to keep them from falling through. Grill until just softened and charred on both sides then remove from grill. Set pizza dough pieces on grill and cook 2 to 3 min. per side. Puncture any dough bubbles as they form; this way you’ll end up with a smooth surface for pizza toppings. Remove pizza dough pieces from grill. Spread 1/4 cup BBQ sauce onto each pizza dough piece. Top with a mixture of grilled veggies and choice of cheese. Return pizzas to grill for 3 to 4 min., with grill lid closed, to melt the cheese and warm the toppings. Serve with Crushed Red Pepper on the side.