Recipe: Gumbo Wineland
This gumbo is full of flavor from veggies, chicken, crab, shrimp, and herbs.
- 2 1/2 cups chicken breast, cubed
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 12 oz. smoked andouille sausage
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, minced
- Meat from 1 Dungeness crab or 1/2 lb. crab meat
- 2 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
- 2 Turkish Bay Leaves
- 2 Tbsp. Lake Barkley Fried Chicken Seasoning
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Mediterranean Thyme
- 1/2 Tbsp. Smoked Spanish Hot Paprika
- 1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 lbs. raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 Tbsp. Organic Gumbo Filé Powder
Toss cubed chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a stockpot over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned on both sides. Remove chicken from pot. Slice sausage into bite-size pieces and add to the pot, cook until browned, then remove. Remove pot from heat and set aside. In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir 1/4 cup oil, butter, and flour until smooth to make a roux. Continue stirring until mixture turns dark brown (do not walk away from this step or the roux will burn). Remove from heat and allow to cool. Return stockpot to medium-high heat and add celery, onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook for about 5 min., then add the cooled roux to the stock pot, along with chicken, sausage, crab, bouillon, and spices (except gumbo filé). Cook for an additional 5 min., then add diced tomatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 45 to 50 min. Add the shrimp and cook for 5 min. more. Add the filé and adjust the thickness as desired with additional stock or water.
Serve with rice or french bread. If you like it spicier, add hot sauce to taste.