Recipe: Hash Brown Casserole
What is more comforting than potatoes and cheese? This is a crowd-pleasing and versatile side dish, whether you're making it for the holidays, brunch, or a barbecue.
- 1 (8 oz.) block cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided and melted
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or broth
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Panhandle Chicken Fried Steak Seasoning
- 1 tsp. Salt & Pepper Tableside Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. Smoked Sweet Spanish Paprika*
- 1 (30 oz.) bag frozen shredded potatoes, thawed
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup hand crushed potato chips or corn flakes cereal
*You can use smoked hot Spanish paprika instead of sweet if you want more heat.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, thoroughly combine cream cheese, sour cream, 1/2 cup melted butter, and chicken stock. Mix in Panhandle, Salt & Pepper Tableside, and paprika. Mix in shredded potatoes in batches. Add onion and 1½ cups of the cheese. Once everything is combined, transfer mixture to a greased 9x13 baking dish. Spread mixture evenly throughout the pan then top it with remaining cheese, crushed potato chips or cereal, and remaining 2 Tbsp. melted butter. Cover dish with foil and bake for 40 min. After 40 min., remove foil and cook for another 20 min. or until the casserole is heated throughout. Serve immediately.
Serve alongside your favorite barbecue protein or your holiday meal.