Recipe: Herbed Chicken Skewers with Kale Caper Sauce
This is a unique grilled skewer recipe that has a great balance of fresh herb, tangy lemon, and sweet fennel to complement the lemon pepper.
- 1 large lemon
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 small shallot, roughly chopped
- 2 cups fresh cilantro, stems trimmed
- 1/4 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 2 Tbsp. fresh dill
- 3 Tbsp. Pyramid Peak Lemon Pepper
- 1 tsp. California Paprika
- 1/2 tsp. California Fennel Pollen
- 1 1/2 tsp. Dehydrated Minced Garlic
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- salt & pepper
- 2 cups roughly chopped kale (stems trimmed)
- 1 Tbsp. capers, rinsed
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. tahini
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 8 Bamboo Skewers, soaked in water for 1 hour
- 1 large fennel bulb
- 1 large lemon
- olive oil for brushing
Also delicious served with our Harissa Yogurt Sauce for dipping.
For chicken: Zest lemon into food processor bowl; reserve juice for sauce. Add remaining ingredients except chicken and salt & pepper. Pulse into a thin paste, adding more olive oil if necessary. Reserve 3 Tbsp. for the sauce and transfer remaining paste to a large bowl. Add chicken and salt & pepper to taste. Toss to coat chicken in paste. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours or up to overnight.
For sauce: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toss kale and capers with oil and salt & pepper. Bake on a cookie sheet for 5 min., stirring half way through. Let cool. Place reserved 3 Tbsp. paste in food processor with roasted kale and capers, yogurt, tahini, honey and reserved lemon juice. Pulse until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
For skewers: Preheat well-oiled grill to medium-high. Cut fennel into pieces about the same size as chicken. Cut lemon into 1-inch segments. Thread alternating pieces of marinated chicken, fennel and lemon onto skewers. Brush skewers with olive oil before setting on the grill. Cook on one side for about 3 min. then flip and cook 3 more min. or until chicken is cooked through. Serve warm with sauce for dipping.