Hungarian Goulash Recipe
4 to 6 servings
Active Prep: 10 min
Cook: 30 min
- 4 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 8 oz. flank steak, sliced across grain into ½-inch thick strips
- salt & pepper for seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp. Dutch Caraway Seeds, cracked
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/4 tsp. Minced Garlic (or 2 fresh cloves garlic, minced)
- 1 cup peeled and diced carrots
- 2 medium size parsnips, peeled and cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 russet potato, peeled, cut into ¼-inch slices then cubed into ½-inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp. Hungarian Paprika
- 1 Tbsp. Table Mountain All-Purpose Seasoning
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 cups dried egg noodles
- Optional garnishes: fresh chives, scallions, dill sprigs, sour cream
Add all Savory items to cart
Heat 2 Tbsp. of the oil in a medium Dutch oven (or similar pot) over medium-high heat. Season steak slices with salt, pepper and cracked caraway seeds. Add steak to oil and brown on both sides, about 2 min. per side. Remove steak from pot and set aside.
Add remaining 2 Tbsp. oil to pot and let it come to temperature. Add onions, garlic, carrots, parsnips and potatoes; season with salt and pepper and saute over medium heat for 8 to 10 min. Add paprika and Table Mountain and stir until thoroughly incorporated. Gently move the ingredients to one side and add a splash of broth to deglaze one side of the pot. Move ingredients to the deglazed side and repeat. Add remaining broth, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and add tomatoes and bell peppers. Cover and cook for 8 to 10 more min., stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Meanwhile, cook egg noodles according to the package directions.
Slice the reserved meat into thinner strips then cut strips in half. Uncover the pot and remove from heat. Stir in meat strips then let the goulash sit for 4 to 5 min. to allow the meat to warm through. Serve goulash over cooked noodles and top with optional garnishes.
Savory Spice Test Kitchen