Jerk Skewers with Pineapple Salsa Recipe
Active Prep: 15 min
Cook: 30 min
For marinade & skewers:
- 3 Tbsp. Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
- 3 Tbsp. orange juice
- 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce (or tamari)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small pineapple, peeled, cored, and quartered lengthwise
- 2 ripe plantains, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 8 Bamboo Skewers, soaked in water for at least 30 min.
- 1 pineapple quarter, reserved from above
- 1/4 cup (packed) fresh mint leaves
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp. Ground Ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp. honey
- Salt, to taste
Add all Savory items to cart
Pescatarian: Replace chicken with Mahi-mahi or other firm white fish and marinate for only 1 to 2 hours.
Vegetarian: Replace chicken with seitan or tofu.
Vegan: Follow vegetarian substitutions and replace honey in salsa with agave nectar.
Gluten-Free: Use tamari instead of soy sauce.
For marinade & skewers: Combine Jamaican Jerk Seasoning, orange juice, vinegar, lime juice, soy sauce, and olive oil. Add chicken and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 12 hours. Remove chicken and pour remaining marinade into a saucepan. Simmer over medium-low heat for 20 to 30 min., stirring occasionally, until thickened into a paste; set aside. Meanwhile, preheat a well-oiled grill to medium-high. Set one pineapple quarter on the grill for about 3 min. per side until charred; set aside for salsa. Cut three remaining pineapple quarters into 1-inch chunks. Thread skewers by alternating pineapple, plantain, bell pepper, and marinated chicken. Grill skewers about 5 min. per side or until chicken is cooked through. Tent with foil until ready to serve.
For salsa: Chop reserved grilled pineapple quarter and place in a food processor with mint, lime zest and juice, ginger, and honey. Pulse into a coarse, salsa-like texture. Season with salt to taste. Serve alongside skewers with reserved jerk paste.
Savory Spice Test Kitchen