Jerk Skewers with Pineapple Salsa Recipe
For marinade & skewers:
- 3 Tbsp. Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
- 3 Tbsp. orange juice
- 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce (or tamari)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small pineapple, peeled and quartered lengthwise*
- 2 ripe plantains, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 8 Bamboo Skewers, soaked in water for at least 30 min.
- One of the pineapple quarters*
- 1/4 cup (packed) fresh mint leaves
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp. Ground Ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp. honey
- pinch of salt
Add all Savory items to cart
This recipe is featured in Spice Club, Savory’s spice of the month club. Here are substitution suggestions for adapting the recipe to different palates:
Pescatarian: Replace chicken with Mahi-mahi or other firm white fish and marinate for only 1 to 2 hours.
Vegetarian: Replace chicken with seitan or tofu.
Vegan: Follow vegetarian substitutions and replace honey in salsa with agave nectar.
Gluten-Free: Use tamari instead of soy sauce.
For marinade & skewers: Combine jerk seasoning and liquids. Add chicken and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 12 hours. Remove chicken and pour remaining marinade into a saucepan. Simmer over medium-low heat for 20 to 30 min., stirring occasionally, until thickened into a paste; set aside. Meanwhile, preheat a well-oiled grill to medium-high. Set one pineapple quarter on the grill for about 3 min. per side until charred; set aside for salsa. Cut three remaining pineapple quarters into 1-inch chunks. Thread skewers, alternating pineapple, plantain, bell pepper, and marinated chicken pieces. Grill skewers about 5 min. per side or until chicken is cooked through. Tent with foil until ready to serve.
For salsa: Chop reserved, grilled pineapple quarter and place in a food processor with remaining ingredients. Pulse into a coarse, salsa-like texture. Serve alongside skewers with reserved jerk paste.
Savory Spice Test Kitchen