Recipe: Makrut Lime Custard
From the spice merchant who submitted this recipe: “After having a decadent plate of Hawaiian French toast at a popular local eatery, where the plate was swirled with a dreamy tropical-infused lime cream, I just had to go home and recreate more of it!”
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup Honey Powder
- 1 tsp. Makrut Lime Powder
- 3 makrut lime leaves
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 tsp. Natural Coconut Extract
- 1 tsp. Dehydrated Minced Lime Peel
- 2 tsp. finely grated fresh lime zest
- 1/4 tsp. Makrut Lime Sea Salt
- Optional garnish: toasted coconut, dollops of whipped cream, mango slices, butter cookies
Recipe adapted from Food & Wine's Kaffir Lime Custards.
In a medium saucepan, combine cream, honey powder, and lime powder (or lime leaves). Simmer over medium-low heat, whisking occasionally. Mixture will slightly reduce at about 15 min. Remove from heat and whisk in lime juice. (If using lime leaves, strain out the leaves.) Stir in coconut extract, lime peel (or lime zest), and lime salt. Pour into 4 dessert glasses. Chill until set, about 2 hours.
Serve with any one of the optional garnish suggestions.