Memphis Style Smoked Rib Tips Recipe
1 rack of rib tips
Active Prep: 20 min
Cook: 6 hours
- 1 to 2 lbs. rack pork rib tips*
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. Platte River Rib Rub, plus more for sprinkling
- Wood of choice for smoking
- 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Favorite barbecue sauce or mop sauce for basting
- 2 to 3 tsp. Cue Glue per lb. meat (optional)**
Add all Savory items to cart
*Rib tips are the meaty bones and cartilage cut away from a full rack of spare ribs when trimming the rack to St. Louis cut ribs. This recipe requires a smoker.
**Savory's 'Cue Glue helps the seasoning stick to your protein and creates a tender yet chewy bark. Simply slather on 2 to 3 tsp. per pound on all sides of the meat then apply the seasoning.
This recipe requires a smoker.
Slather ribs on both sides with 'Cue Glue if using before rubbing ribs with seasoning. Rub rack of rib tips generously with Platte River Rib Rub to coat. Set rubbed rib tips aside while you get the smoker ready.
Use the 3-2-1 method to smoke-roast-grill the rib tips:
- 3 hours in the smoker: Get smoker set up with wood of choice and heat to 225 degrees. Set rib tips in smoker and maintain 225 degrees while rib tips smoke for 3 hours.
- 2 hours in the oven: Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Wrap smoked rib tips in aluminum foil and add 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar to the wrap. Set foil packet on a baking sheet and roast rib tips for 2 hours.
- 1 hour on the grill: About 30 min. before removing rib tips from oven, heat grill to 300 degrees, keeping heat all to one side. Remove rib tips from oven and remove the foil wrap. Place rib tips on grill on the opposite side of the heat. Close lid and check temperature every 15 min. or so, basting or saucing if desired each time you check. Rib tips are done when internal temperature reaches 175 to 180 degrees, which takes about an hour. Let rest for 15 to 20 min. before slicing.
Sprinkle finished rib tips with additional Platte River Rib Rub upon serving if desired. Serve with slices of white bread and your favorite BBQ sauce on the side for slathering and dunking.
Savory Spice Test Kitchen