Mushroom Banh Mi Sandwich Recipe
Active Prep: 15 min
Cook: 30 min
For quick-pickled vegetables:
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno or Fresno pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 small cucumber, peeled
- 1 medium carrot, peeled
- 1 lb. crimini or button mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Fine Black Malabar Pepper
- 1 tsp. Asian Style Sprinkle
- 4 hoagie or french rolls
- 1 (15 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp. Ground Ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp. soy sauce or tamari
Add all Savory items to cart
This is a vegetarian version of a Spice Club recipe. You can find the original recipe here.
For pickled vegetables: Combine vinegar, cilantro, Asian Style Sprinkle, salt, sugar, radishes, pepper, and onion in a bowl. Cut cucumber lengthwise into thin slices. Using a vegetable peeler, shave carrot into long strips. Add cucumber and carrot to marinade and let sit while you prepare meatballs.
For mushrooms: Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Toss mushrooms with oil, salt, and pepper. Roast mushrooms stem-side down for 15 min. Turn the mushrooms and sprinkle with 1 tsp. Asian sprinkle. Return to oven for an additional 15 min.
To assemble: Slice rolls horizontally, being careful not to cut all the way through. Place 4-5 mushrooms on each roll. Spoon tomato sauce over mushrooms. Top with marinated vegetables and serve.
Savory Spice Test Kitchen