Little Danish spice cookies made with coconut, nuts, and dates.
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup pecans (or almonds)
- 1/2 cup pitted dates (or raisins)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. your choice of cinnamon:
- Ground Supreme Saigon Cassia Cinnamon
- Ground Saigon Cassia Cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Ground Jamaican Allspice
- 1/4 tsp. Coarse Black Malabar Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Madagascar Cloves
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Mace
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening*
- 2 eggs
- 4 tsp. buttermilk
- 1 tsp. Pure Anise Extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
*Butter can be substituted for vegetable shortening.
Place coconut, pecans and dates together in a food processor, pulse until finely ground and combined, and set aside. Sift together flour, baking soda and spices, and set aside. Cream sugars and shortening together in a standing mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, buttermilk and anise extract, and mix until thoroughly combined. Stir in flour mixture until combined, and then fold in ground coconut, nuts and fruit mixture. Dough should be stiff. Allow dough to chill until ready to use.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Once dough has chilled, shape into 1-inch balls and place about 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 min. Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool. Once cool, dip in powdered sugar to coat, shaking off any excess sugar. Store in an airtight container. #HolidayCookies