Recipe: Pike Place Tuna Melt
A simple but impressive recipe for an interesting weeknight meal.
- 2 (4 to 5 oz.) cans tuna or salmon in water
- 1 (15 oz.) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. Pike Place Protein Rub*
- 2 tsp. Horseradish Power*
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 scallions, minced
- 4 slices wheat, rye or pumpernickel bread, toasted
- 4 slices Swiss or fontina cheese
*Add seasoning to taste. You might want to use less Pike Place if your brand of fish or beans is high in sodium to begin with. Use more horseradish for additional heat. Recipe also works with Cambridgeshire Celery Seasoning in place of Pike Place.
Place tuna and beans in a medium bowl. Add mayonnaise, Dijon, 1 Tbsp. Pike Place and 1 tsp. horseradish powder. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning to taste. (Horseradish will get stronger the longer the salad sits.) Fold in spinach, cherries, celery and scallions. Place the 4 toasted bread pieces on a baking sheet and top each with tuna salad mixture then a slice of cheese. Place sheet under the broiler for about 5 min., or until cheese melts and begins to bubble.