Recipe: Pork Chile Verde
A delicious chile verde with complex flavors and roasted chiles.
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock, more if desired
- 1/2 lb. tomatillos, husked, rinsed and cut into wedges (divided)
- 1/2 bunch scallions, chopped
- 3/4 cup packed cilantro leaves and stems
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 to 2 1/2 lbs. pork shoulder, trimmed, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Mexican Adobo Style
- 1 tsp. Garlic Salt
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1 (12 oz.) bottle amber beer
- 3 x Anaheim chiles, roasted, peeled, and diced
- 2 Tbsp. Hatch Green Chile Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Ground Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp. Mexican Oregano
- 1/2 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- salt and pepper, to taste
This recipe was adapted from Pork Chile Verde with Red Chile Salsa from Epicurious.
In a blender, puree stock, 1/3 of the tomatillos, scallions, cilantro, garlic, and lime juice/zest until smooth. Set salsa verde aside. In a dutch oven or large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Season the pork with Mexican adobo and garlic salt, making sure each piece is well seasoned. In batches, add pork to the pot and sear until browned, turning occasionally. It will take roughly 4 to 6 min. per batch. Transfer the pork to a bowl and drain of all but 1 Tbsp. of fat. Add onions and saute until soft, about 5 min. Add remaining tomatillos and cook until tender and brown in spots, stirring occasionally. If they are browning too quickly, turn heat down to medium. This will take roughly 7 to 10 min. Add pork and any juices pack into the pot. Stir in the reserved salsa verde, beer, roasted chiles, ground green chiles, cumin, and oregano. Cover mixture and simmer over medium-low heat for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until pork is fork tender. Add potatoes and simmer for 30 min. or so, until potatoes are tender. If needed, thin out the chile verde with additional broth and adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with desired garnishes.
Garnish with fresh cilantro, lime wedges, sour cream, salsa, diced red onion, avocado, and/or Cojita cheese.