Recipe: Pseudo-Creamy Tortilla Soup
The creaminess of this dairy-free, gluten-free dish comes from blending corn tortillas right into the soup.
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 green or red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1/4 tsp. Smoked Spanish Sweet Paprika
- 2 tsp. Hatch Green Chile Powder
- 2 tsp. Organic Ground Cumin Seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp. Mayan Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Mexican Oregano
- 1/2 tsp. Coarse Black Malabar Pepper
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- Hickory Smoke Flavoring, to taste
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortllas, roughly chopped
Heat oil in a heavy stockpot over medium heat. Add onions, peppers, and garlic and saute for 5 min. Stir in tamari and spices and cook for another 2 min. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 15 min. Use an immersion blender or food processor to puree soup until smooth and serve warm.
Serve with tortilla strips, cubed avocado pieces and sour cream.