Pumpkin Pie Spice Chili Recipe
Active Prep: 5 min
Cook: 1 hour 45 min
- 2 small whole pie pumpkins*
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Salt & pepper, to season
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp. Dehydrated Minced Garlic (or 2 cloves, minced)
- 2 Tbsp. Medium Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. Coarse Black Malabar Pepper
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed*
- 1 (15 oz.) can white beans, drained
- 1 (15 oz.) black beans, drained
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- Optional garnish: Plain yogurt, cilantro, and hot sauce
Add all Savory items to cart
*Recipe also works with 2 whole acorn squash or large delicata squash. Quinoa is optional; if you don’t use quinoa you can omit the 1/2 cup water.
For pumpkin: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut off tops of pumpkins and scrape out insides. Brush inside of pumpkins with oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Place open-side down on a baking sheet and roast for about 45 min. or until easily pierced with a knife. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet.
For chili: While pumpkin cools, heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add turkey and cook about 5 min. or until turkey is no longer pink. Stir in onion and cook about 5 more min., or until onion is soft. Stir in garlic and spices. Add bell pepper, jalapeno, quinoa, and beans. Stir in tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for about 45 min., stirring occasionally.
To assemble: Cut roasted pumpkins into quarters. Set each pumpkin quarter in a bowl and spoon chili on top of pumpkin; pumpkin flesh should be soft enough to scoop out with bites of chili. Alternatively, scrape out roasted pumpkin flesh, stir into chili, and simmer another 5 to 10 min. until pumpkin is heated through. Serve chili with yogurt, cilantro, and hot sauce on the side.
Savory Spice Test Kitchen