Recipe: Quinoa Chowder
- 1/4 cup dehydrated minced or sliced onion
- 1 Tbsp. Dehydrated Minced Garlic
- 1/2 tsp. Coarse Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Organic Ground Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp. smoked sweet or hot Spanish paprika
- 3 to 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup fresh or freeze-dried corn kernels
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (cheddar or other yellow varieties)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp. dried cilantro (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. spearmint leaves (optional)
Recipe adapted from International Cuisine Edition 1.
Combine onions, garlic, salt, cumin and paprika in a pot and heat for 1 minute. Add 3 cups of stock and potatoes. Simmer gently for about 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Add quinoa and simmer 5 minutes. When the quinoa shells have broken open (they are no longer round, but more squiggly) add milk, corn and peas. Be sure not to boil. Add more stock if mixture is too thick. Right before serving add cheese and eggs and stir until combined, about 2 minutes. (Be sure to add the eggs right before serving. Doing it in advance will cause the chowder to thicken and the stock to be absorbed.) Add cilantro and spearmint if using.
Serve with any breads, but corn bread works wonderfully!