Sage & Roasted Squash Risotto Recipe
4 to 6 servings
Active Prep: 15 min
Cook: 1 hour
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (3 to 4 cups)
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. Ground Jamaican Allspice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. Poultry Seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups roughly chopped hearty greens (e.g. kale, mustard greens, collard greens)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1/2 cup creme fraîche or plain yogurt (optional)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (optional)
Add all Savory items to cart
Vegan: Omit the Parmesan and creme fraîche or use non-dairy alternatives.
To add protein: Stir in tempeh, cooked diced ham, or shredded chicken/turkey.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spread squash out on a baking sheet and drizzle with 1 Tbsp. of the oil. Sprinkle with allspice and a couple pinches of salt & pepper, then toss to coat. Roast for 15 to 20 min. or until easily pierced with a fork. Set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine broth and Poultry Seasoning. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low to keep warm. In a large skillet with a lid, heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil over medium heat. Add rice and cook, stirring frequently, for about 2 min. Add leek and garlic and cook for another 3 min. Add wine and let simmer, stirring occasionally, until wine is almost completely absorbed.
Stir 4 cups of the warm broth into rice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover skillet. Cook for 20 min., then uncover and stir in remaining 1 cup broth. Set greens on top of risotto and cover skillet again to cook for 10 more min. Uncover, stir greens into risotto, and taste to make sure rice is tender. Stir in roasted squash. Stir in Parmesan, creme fraîche, and cranberries if using. Cook 1 more min. to warm everything through. Season with more salt & pepper to taste just before serving.
Savory Spice Test Kitchen