Recipe: Sausage, Potato & Kale Soup
This recipe features our favorite spice for soup, Summit County Seasoning, along with an easy method for making homemade sausage with our South Fork Italian Sausage Spice. It makes a quick and comforting weeknight meal.
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 Tbsp. South Fork Italian Sausage Spice
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, minced
- 2 1/2 lbs. red potatoes, diced
- 2 Tbsp. Summit County Seasoning
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, leaves chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 sliced scallions for garnish
This recipe is featured in Spice Club, Savory’s spice of the month club. Here are substitution suggestions for adapting the recipe to different palates:
- Vegetarian/Vegan: Use 8 oz. tempeh in place of ground pork and vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. (Check out the vegan version of the recipe here.)
- Gluten-free: No substitutions necessary.
- Other meat options: Use ground chicken or turkey in place of pork.
Mix South Fork Italian Sausage Spice into ground pork until thoroughly combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 min. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or stock pot over medium-high heat. Pinch off 1-inch pieces of seasoned pork and add to the pot; do this in batches if necessary to keep the pork in one layer so it browns evenly. Cook until sausage pieces are browned on all sides, about 5 min., then transfer to a plate. Add onions to the pot and cook for about 3 min., stirring to scrape up any browned sausage bits. Add potatoes and Summit County Seasoning; cook for another 3 min., stirring often. Add broth and sausage pieces and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender but not falling apart, 10 to 15 min. Meanwhile, combine water and cornstarch in a small bowl. Once potatoes are tender, stir cornstarch mixture into the soup. Add kale and continue to simmer until soup has thickened slightly and kale is tender, about 5 to 10 min. Remove from heat and allow soup to cool slightly before serving. Season with salt & pepper to taste and garnish with scallions.