Shepherd’s Pie with Carrot Mash Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered
- 1 lb. carrots, cut into large chunks
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. Garlic Salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 lbs. sirloin steak, cubed
- Salt & pepper, to season
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. Flat Irons Prime Rib Rub
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (10 oz.) bag frozen vegetable medley, thawed
- Chopped parsley, to garnish
Add all Savory items to cart
This recipe is featured in Spice Club, Savory’s spice of the month club. Here are substitution suggestions for adapting the recipe to different diets:
- Vegetarian/Vegan: Use unsweetened soy or almond milk in place of milk and vegan butter for butter. Use quartered cremini mushrooms in place of steak and vegetable broth for beef broth.
- Gluten-free: No substitutions necessary.
For topping: In a large pot, add potatoes and carrots and cover with about 2-inches of water. Bring to a boil. Boil for 15 to 20 min., or until potatoes and carrots are fork-tender. Strain and return to pot. Add milk, butter, Garlic Salt, and black pepper. Mash with a potato masher until mixture is mostly smooth with a few lumps.
For filling: In a large bowl, season steak with salt and pepper and toss with cornstarch. In a large dutch oven or deep, oven-safe skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add steak and onion and cook until steak is browned and onions are softened, 4 to 5 min. Add garlic and Flat Irons Prime Rib Rub and cook until fragrant, about 1 min. Add beef broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 min., or until beef is tender and sauce has thickened slightly. Stir in vegetable medley.
To serve: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread carrot mash evenly over the top of steak and vegetable filling. Bake for 20 min., or until filling is bubbling and top has just started to brown. Cool for 10 min. before garnishing with parsley and serving.
Savory Spice Test Kitchen