Shepherd’s Pie with Carrot Mash Recipe
- 2 lbs. sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- salt & pepper
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch, divided
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 1 white onion, halved and sliced
- 1 cup prunes, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 Tbsp. Flat Irons Prime Rib Rub
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 1/2 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 lb. carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp. Garlic Salt
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
Add all Savory items to cart
This recipe is featured in Spice Club, Savory’s spice of the month club. Here are substitution suggestions for adapting the recipe to different palates:
- Vegetarian/Vegan: Use white or crimini mushrooms in place of steak and vegetable broth instead of beef broth. Replace butter with a vegan butter and use unsweetened soy or almond milk instead of regular milk. (See our recipe for Mushroom Shepherd's Pie with Carrot Mash for the full recipe with substitutions.)
- Gluten-free: No substitutions necessary.
For filling: Sprinkle beef with salt & pepper; toss with 1 Tbsp. cornstarch. Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sear beef in single-layer batches until brown, 2 to 4 min. per batch, and transfer to a plate. Add remaining 1 Tbsp. oil and onions to skillet and cook for 5 min. or until onions are soft. Stir in remaining ingredients. Mix remaining 1 Tbsp. cornstarch with 2 Tbsp. water to make a slurry; stir slurry into skillet. Add browned beef and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 min. or until beef is tender and sauce thickens.
For topping: In a large pot, cover potatoes and carrots by 2 inches with water and bring to a boil. Boil for 15 min. or until veggies are soft enough to break apart with a fork. Drain and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add butter, milk, Garlic Salt, and pepper. Use a hand masher or electric mixer to beat until still slightly lumpy.
To serve: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour filling into a 2-quart dish, or divide it between 4 large ramekins. Cover with topping. Set dish(es) on a baking sheet and bake for 20 min. or until filling is bubbling and topping just starts to brown. Cool for 10 min. before serving.
Savory Spice Test Kitchen