Shredded Barbecue Chicken Recipe
4 to 6 servings
Active Prep: 15 min
Cook: 2 hours
- 1 Tbsp. neutral oil (like sunflower or canola)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. Roasted Granulated Garlic
- 1/2 tsp. Smoked Spanish Sweet Paprika
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 bottle of your choice of Savory Spice Small Batch BBQ Sauce:
- Southern Gold Barbecue Sauce
- Black Dust Coffee & Spice Barbecue Sauce
- Old-Fashioned Root Beer Barbecue Sauce
- Midwestern Sweet Barbecue Sauce
- Woody's Sweet & Tangy Barbecue Sauce
Add all Savory items to cart
While the complete recipe takes about 2 hours, most of it is "hands off" time, so it's great for an easy weeknight dinner.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large, oven safe, heavy-bottom pot (with a lid), heat oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes - until onion is translucent. Add roasted garlic and paprika and stir to combine. Add half of the BBQ sauce, then nestle the chicken breast in the sauce and onion mixture. Top with remaining sauce. Put the lid on the pot and place in oven for 1 1/2 hours. Remove and set aside until chicken is cool enough to handle. Remove chicken to a large cutting board or plate. Using two forks, shred chicken breasts. Place shredded chicken back in the sauce. The sauce will thicken slightly as it cools but if sauce is too thin, put the pot back in the oven (uncovered) for about 15 minutes.
Place a generous helping of shredded chicken on buns or bread and top with pickled onions and slaw for sandwiches. You could also use the chicken for pizza/flatbread, street tacos, etc.
Stephanie Bullen, Savory Franchising Team