Recipe: Skillet-Roasted Chicken & Veggies
Here’s proof that beef spice isn’t just for beef! Hudson Bay is just as delicious as a marinade and sauce for this roast chicken chock full of seasonal root veggies. It’s easy for a weeknight meal but also special enough for a weekend dinner party.
- 2 Tbsp. Hudson Bay Beef Spice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Juice and zest of 1 large lemon
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chicken leg quarters (or 4 bone-in pieces)
- 1 lb. Brussel sprouts, trimmed and halved or quartered
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced thick
- 1 lb. fingerling potatoes, scrubbed and sliced into thick rounds
- 1 tsp. Organic Cracked Rosemary
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. butter
This recipe is featured in Spice Club, Savory's spice-of-the-month club. Here are some substitution options:
- Vegan: Substitute portabello mushrooms or tofu for chicken. Replace vegetable stock for chicken stock and use a butter substitute.
Combine Hudson Bay, vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, lemon juice, and 2 cloves of the minced garlic in a gallon size zip-top bag. Add chicken and toss to coat. Refrigerate for about 1 hour. Meanwhile, prep veggies and toss with 1 Tbsp. oil, remaining 2 cloves minced garlic, lemon zest, rosemary, and a few pinches of salt & pepper.
Remove chicken from marinade and reserve remaining marinade liquid. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large cast iron (or other oven safe) skillet, heat 1 Tbsp. oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt & pepper, then sear for about 5 min. per side to get a deep golden color on both sides. Transfer chicken to a plate. Add seasoned veggies to skillet and stir to coat with chicken drippings. Cook for about 5 min., stirring once or twice. Set chicken, skin side up, on top of veggies. Transfer skillet to oven and roast for 30 to 40 min., or until chicken registers 175 degrees on a meat thermometer.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring reserved marinade and chicken broth to a boil. Keep sauce at a low boil for about 20 min. until it reduces by about half. Remove from heat, stir in butter until melted, and set sauce aside until chicken is done. Once chicken comes out of the oven, reheat sauce to warm through then drizzle over chicken & veggies before serving.