Recipe: Sloppy Joes
A family classic, this is a great base recipe to try with one of your favorite BBQ-inspired seasonings in place of the suggestions we make here.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (28-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp. molasses
- 4 Tbsp. One of the following seasonings:
- Platte River Rib Rub
- Homestead Seasoning
- Black Hills BBQ Seasoning
- 6 hamburger buns or 12 slider buns
- Optional garnishes: diced jalapeños, coleslaw or shredded cabbage, shredded cheese, diced onions
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and use a spatula to break it up into small pieces as it browns. Once beef starts to brown, stir in onions and peppers. Once beef is cooked through, stir in tomato sauce, molasses and seasoning of choice. Bring to a boil then simmer for 20 to 30 min., stirring occasionally. Serve warm with burger buns and garnishes of choice.