Recipe: Slow Cooker BBQ Picnic Chicken
This crowd-pleasing recipe couldn't be easier or more delicious. It yields the flavors of summer BBQ without the commitment to the grill. Plus, it's great warm or cold so you take it to your next picnic.
- 3 to 4 lbs. chicken drumsticks, drumettes, or wings
- salt & pepper for seasoning
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup molasses
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce Powder (mixed with 2 Tbsp. water to form sauce)
- 1 Tbsp. Onion & Garlic Tableside Sprinkle
- 1 Tbsp. Organic "True" Arrowroot (or cornstarch)
- 4 to 5 Tbsp. of your favorite BBQ seasoning, such as:
- Georgia Boys All-Purpose BBQ Rub
- Pearl St. Plank Rub
- Red Rocks Hickory Smoke Seasoning
- Native Texan BBQ Rub
- Team Sweet Mamas BBQ Chicken Rub
- Team Sweet Mamas KC Style Rub
*Can be made with your favorite BBQ seasoning. Or check another version of this recipe for Slow Cooker Honey Mustard Picnic Chicken.
Generously sprinkle chicken pieces with salt & pepper. Place chicken and all remaining ingredients in a slow cooker. Use a spatula (or your hands) to toss and coat all chicken pieces with sauce. Set slow cooker to low and cook for 3 to 4 hours. Chicken pieces should be very tender but not completely falling off the bone.
Remove chicken pieces from slow cooker with tongs and arrange on a large, foil-lined baking sheet. Preheat broiler. Transfer remaining liquid from slow cooker to a saucepan and simmer over medium heat, stirring, to reduce and thicken to desired consistency. Meanwhile, finish chicken pieces under the broiler for about 5 min., turning a couple of times, so the skin becomes slightly charred. Toss broiled chicken pieces with sauce just before serving and/or serve sauce on the side.
Fantastic cold for your next picnic.