Recipe: Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
This tastes like taking a bite of taco out of a slow cooker! This family-friendly recipe is so easy to make, and it's great for leftovers so you can stretch the meal out through the week.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (15 oz.) can chili beans, drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 (10 oz.) cans diced tomatoes with green chiles, not drained
- 1 (12 oz.) can/bottle lager or amber beer
- 3 1/2 Tbsp. Taco Seasoning
- 2 large or 3 small skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Optional garnishes: cheddar cheese, sour cream, crushed tortilla chips
Place onion, beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer and diced tomatoes in slow cooker. Add Taco Seasoning; stir to blend. Lay whole chicken pieces on top of mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by other ingredients. Set slow cooker on low; cover and cook for 5 hours. Remove chicken from soup and allow to cool long enough to be handled. Shred chicken; return to soup and continue cooking 2 more hours. (If you are not home to take chicken out to shred and return to soup, simply take it out when you get home, shred and return to soup to cook 10 to 15 min. on high setting before serving.)
Serve topped with shredded cheese, sour cream and crushed chips, if desired. This soup freezes well.