Recipe: Slow Cooker Spiced Pumpkin Soup
A creamy pumpkin soup seasoned with Coastal Bay and topped with crispy fried prosciutto makes for the perfect autumn night dinner.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 oz. prosciutto, thinly sliced and cut into thin strips
- 1 yellow onion, diced into ¼-inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp. Dehydrated Minced Garlic
- 1 (28 oz.) can pure pumpkin puree
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Coastal Bay Seasoning
- 1/8 tsp. Ground Grenada Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. Fine White Sarawak Pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped Italian parsley
- salt, to taste
This recipe yields a slightly thin soup. Use less broth if you like a thicker soup or bulk up the soup by serving it over cooked rice or other grains. It makes a great base to add cooked beans, ham or sausage for an even heartier meal.
Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large, deep saute pan. Add prosciutto strips and saute over medium-high heat until crisp, about 2 min. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Lower heat to medium, add onion and saute until tender, but not brown, about 3 to 4 min. Add garlic and cook until aromatic, about 1 min. Stir in pumpkin, broth, Coastal Bay Seasoning, nutmeg and white pepper. Bring to a boil, then carefully transfer to a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker, cover and cook 3 to 4 hours on high or 6 to 8 hours on low. When ready to serve, stir in cream (if using) and Parmesan and heat through, about 5 min, then salt to taste. Garnish with the crispy prosciutto and fresh parsley.