Smoked Mutton Leg Recipe
6 to 8 servings
Active Prep: 10 min
Cook: 6 hours
- 1 (4 to 5 lb.) bone-in mutton leg*
- 2 to 3 tsp. ‘Cue Glue per pound meat (optional, but highly recommended)**
- 1 tsp. Salt & Pepper Tableside Seasoning per pound meat
- 1 Tbsp. Table Mountain All-Purpose Seasoning per pound meat
- 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup Black Dip Barbecue Sauce
Add all Savory items to cart
*Mutton is a mature sheep that’s more than 1 year old; whereas lamb is a young sheep less than 1 year old. Lamb can be substituted for mutton in this method if you can’t find mutton in your part of the country. We ordered ours online.
**Savory's 'Cue Glue helps the seasoning stick to your protein and seals in moisture. Simply slather on 2 to 3 tsp. per pound on all sides of the meat before applying the seasoning.
This recipe requires a smoker.
Slather leg on all sides with 'Cue Glue (if using) before rubbing leg with seasoning. Rub leg generously with salt & pepper and BBQ seasoning to coat. Set rubbed leg aside while you get the smoker ready.
Use the 3-2-1 method to smoke-roast-grill the leg:
- 3 hours in the smoker: Get smoker set up with wood of choice and heat to 250 to 275 degrees. Set shoulder in smoker and maintain temperature range while leg smokes for 3 hours.
- 2 hours in the oven: Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Wrap leg in aluminum foil and add 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar to the wrap. Set foil packet on a baking sheet and roast leg for 2 hours.
- 1 hour on the grill: About 30 min. before removing leg from oven, heat grill to 300 degrees, keeping heat all to one side. Remove leg from oven and remove the foil wrap. Place leg on grill on the opposite side of the heat. Close lid and check temperature every 15 min. or so, basting or saucing if desired each time you check. Leg is done when internal temperature reaches 190 degrees, which takes about an hour. Let rest for 15 to 20 min. before serving.
- To serve: Shred or chop to serve. Serve with Black Dip Barbecue sauce for drizzling or dunking. Black Dip is a thin, Worcestershire-like sauce that cuts the gamey, fatty flavor of mutton.
Savory Spice Test Kitchen