Sopa de Albondigas Recipe
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 quarts beef broth
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 large russet potato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 Tbsp. Family Style Fajita Seasoning
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. Family Style Fajita Seasoning
- 4 tsp. Spearmint
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Hot sauce, to taste
Add all Savory items to cart
Vegetarian/Vegan: Replace beef stock with vegetable stock and ground beef with one pound of plant-based ground beef substitute (we liked Beyond Meat's Beyond Beef in this recipe).
For soup: In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until tender, about 3 min. Add garlic and cook an additional minute. Add beef broth, tomato paste, zucchini, carrots, celery, potato, Family Style Fajita Seasoning, and salt. Bring broth to a rolling boil while preparing meatballs.
For meatballs: Place ground beef in a large bowl and mix in rice, cilantro, Family Style Fajita Seasoning, Spearmint, salt, and pepper. Form mixture into 1-inch balls. Add meatballs to boiling broth, one at a time. Boil for 5 min., then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 30 min. without stirring.
Serve with lemon wedges and hot sauce to taste.
Savory Spice Test Kitchen