Recipe: Southwestern Chorizo Shakshuka
We give shakshuka (eggs baked in tomato sauce) a southwestern twist by using Merken, a unique Chilean-inspired chile seasoning. We top it with a quick & easy fresh tomatillo salsa with a hint of lime, which cools down the heat from the chorizo and chili powder.
- 7 to 8 oz. mild ground chorizo
- 2 lbs. Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 large white onion, chopped
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Mapuche Style Merken Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. Dehydrated Minced Garlic
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro, plus 2 Tbsp. for garnish
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley, plus 2 Tbsp. for garnish
- 4 to 6 eggs
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 oz. queso Chihuahua, cubed (or similar melting cheese like Monterey Jack)
- 1/2 cup Fresh Salsa Verde (see recipe link below)
- Tortillas for serving
This recipe works great with a vegan chorizo, vegan cheese, and avocado halves instead of eggs for a vegetarian/vegan option. See the full recipe for Vegan Southwestern Shakshuka.
This recipe is featured in Spice Club, Savory's spice-of-the-month club.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown chorizo in a large, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat for about 5 min. (Add 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil if chorizo is very lean.) Use a slotted spoon to transfer chorizo to a plate. Add tomatoes and onions to skillet with chorizo drippings, stirring to scrape up any chorizo bits. Lower heat to medium and cook for 5 to 7 min., stirring occasionally, until tomatoes soften and release their juices. Stir in tomato sauce, Merken Seasoning, garlic, 1/4 cup each cilantro and parsley, and cooked chorizo. Bring to a soft boil and cook, uncovered, for about 10 min., stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens slightly. Use a serving spoon to make a shallow crater in the sauce and crack an egg into the opening. Repeat for remaining eggs, keeping them a couple inches apart. Season eggs with salt & pepper to taste. Nestle cubes of queso into the sauce around the eggs. Transfer skillet to oven and bake, uncovered, for 12 to 15 min. until egg yolks are just set and whites are no longer translucent. Remove from oven and serve.
Serve topped with dollops of Fresh Salsa Verde and garnish with cilantro and parsley. Serve with tortillas.