St. Louis Style Spare Ribs Recipe
1 rack of ribs
Active Prep: 10 min
Cook: 6 hours
- 1 (4 to 5 lb.) rack St. Louis cut spare ribs*
- 2 to 3 tsp. Cue Glue per lb. meat (optional, but highly recommended)**
- 1 Tbsp. Salt & Pepper Tableside Seasoning
- 4 to 5 Tbsp. BBQ rub of choice, such as:
- Red Rocks Hickory Smoke Seasoning
- Platte River Rib Rub
- Long’s Peak Pork Chop Spice
- 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
Add all Savory items to cart
*St. Louis style ribs are cut from a full rack of spare ribs. The cartilage-dense sternum along the side and excess flap at the bottom are trimmed away, leaving a rectangular-shaped rack of just the meaty ribs.
**Savory's 'Cue Glue helps the seasoning stick to your protein and creates a tender yet chewy bark. Simply slather on 2 to 3 tsp. per pound on all sides of the meat then apply the seasoning.
This recipe requires a smoker.
Slather ribs on both sides with 'Cue Glue (if using) before rubbing ribs with seasoning. Rub rack of ribs generously with Salt & Pepper Tableside then choice of BBQ rub to coat. Set rubbed ribs aside while you get the smoker ready.
Use the 3-2-1 method to smoke-roast-grill the ribs:
- 3 hours in the smoker: Get smoker set up with wood of choice and heat to 225 degrees. Set ribs in smoker and maintain 225 degrees while ribs smoke for 3 hours.
- 2 hours in the oven: Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Wrap smoked ribs in aluminum foil and add 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar to the wrap. Set foil packet on a baking sheet and roast ribs for 2 hours.
- 1 hour on the grill: About 30 min. before removing ribs from oven, heat grill to 300 degrees, keeping heat all to one side. Remove ribs from oven and remove the foil wrap. Place ribs on grill on the opposite side of the heat. Close lid and check temperature every 15 min. or so, basting or saucing if desired each time you check. Ribs are done when internal temperature reaches 175 to 180 degrees, which takes about an hour. Let rest for 15 to 20 min. before slicing and serving.
Serve with your favorite BBQ sides and sauces.THANKS TO
Savory Spice Test Kitchen