Steak and Potato Crusted Quiche Recipe
Active Prep: 5 min
Cook: 40 min
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp. Minced Lemon Peel
- 1 tsp. Premium French Thyme
- 1/2 tsp. Fine Black Malabar Pepper
- 3 cups cubed crusty bread
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 1 lb. strip steak, cubed
- 1 large Yukon Gold potato, sliced very thin
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Add all Savory items to cart
This recipe is featured in Spice Club, Savory's spice-of-the-month club. Here are some substitution options:
- Vegetarian: Replace strip steak with 2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms.
- Vegan: In addition to vegetarian substitution, replace eggs with 14 oz. firm tofu, drained and puréed. Replace milk with almond milk, replace cheese with vegan cheese, and omit heavy cream.
- Gluten-free: Use gluten-free bread.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, heavy cream, Kosher Salt, Minced Lemon Peel, Premium French Thyme, and Fine Black Malabar Pepper until well-combined. Stir in bread, tomatoes, and spinach. Set aside. In a large, oven-safe skillet, heat 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil over high heat. Add steak to skillet and sauté for 3 to 4 min., or until browned on all sides. Remove skillet from heat and transfer steak to bowl with egg mixture. Return skillet to heat and add remaining 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil. Line bottom of skillet with potato slices, slightly overlapping to create a solid layer. Cook potato slices for 8 min., or until soft and lightly browned on the bottom. Pour egg mixture over potato slices, shifting solid ingredients as necessary to create an even layer. Top with cheese and bake for 23 to 25 min., or until center is set and top is lightly browned. Carefully flip quiche out onto a cutting board and then flip again, so potato crust is on the bottom. Slice and serve immediately.
Serve with romesco sauce.
Michael Kimball, Savory Spice Test Kitchen