Recipe: Sweet & Sour Stir-Fry with Sesame Tofu
A quick and tasty dish with a hint of heat! Serve on rice or noodles for a homemade version of your favorite take-out dish.
- 1 lb. extra-firm tofu, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil, plus more if needed
- 1/3 cup Hot Pepper Vinegar Barbecue Sauce
- 1/3 cup honey*
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp. Dehydrated Minced Garlic (or 2 fresh cloves, minced)
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 tsp. water
- 4 cups chopped or sliced veggies of choice (suggestions: red bell pepper, onion, snow/snap peas, carrots, etc.)*
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 to 2 tsp. Toasted White Sesame Seeds
*Substitute agave syrup for honey to make this recipe vegan. Use 4 cups frozen stir-fry mix that you have thawed and drained for a quick alternative to chopping fresh vegetables.
For tofu: Pat tofu cubes using paper towels to remove as much moisture as possible. Mix together cornstarch and salt and coat dried tofu in the mixture. Heat vegetable oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add coated tofu and brown on all sides until golden, working in batches and adding more oil if needed. Set crispy tofu on a plate lined with paper towels while you prepare the vegetables.
For vegetables: whisk together Hot Pepper Vinegar Barbecue Sauce, soy sauce/tamari, honey, sesame oil, and garlic. Separately, stir together cornstarch and water to make a slurry. In a medium pan over medium-high heat, add vegetable oil and saute vegetables until barely softened, about 2 to 3 min. Add in sauce mixture and cornstarch slurry and let reduce until sauce has thickened slightly and vegetables are cooked to desired doneness, about 3 to 4 min. Toss in crispy tofu and sprinkle with sesame seeds to garnish.
Serve on top of rice, lo mein, or rice noodles.