Tomato & Toasted Onion Pizza with Avocado “Aioli” Recipe
Active Prep: 30 min
Cook: 15 min
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 tsp. Roasted Granulated Garlic
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 8 oz. goat cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp. chopped chives
- 2 Tbsp. Minced Toasted Onion
- Toasted Onion Pizza Dough*
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 large heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- Salt & pepper to season
- 1 cup arugula
- 6 strips bacon, cooked until crispy and chopped
Add all Savory items to cart
This recipe is featured in Spice Club, Savory’s spice of the month club.
*Visit the bonus Toasted Onion Pizza Dough page for the bonus recipe.
Here are some substitution suggestions for adapting the recipe to specific dietary needs:
- Vegetarian/Vegan: Use a vegan spreadable cheese substitute and vegan bacon.
- Gluten-Free: Use gluten-free flour when making the pizza dough or purchase a gluten-free crust.
For “aioli:” Combine everything but salt & pepper in a food processor and blend until smooth. Alternatively, use a fork to mash avocado before mixing in garlic, lemon, and oil. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Cover with plastic wrap placed directly on the surface of the sauce and chill until ready to use.
For pizza: Heat grill to medium-high (around 400 degrees) and oil grill grates. Combine goat cheese, milk, chives, and toasted onion to make a smooth spread. Roll out each half of the dough into 1/4 inch thick rounds. Brush each dough round with olive oil. Carefully set one dough round on grill, oiled-side down. Cook for about 2 min. per side, puncturing any bubbles that form in the dough. Remove from grill and repeat with other dough round. Spread goat cheese mixture evenly over both grilled crusts. Lay tomato slices on top and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Grill pizzas separately with the lid closed for about 4 min. each. Remove from grill, top with arugula and bacon pieces, then drizzle with avocado sauce. Slice and serve.
Ashlee Redger, Savory Spice Test Kitchen