Vegan Southwestern Shakshuka Recipe
- 7 to 8 oz. mild vegan chorizo, removed from casing and diced
- 2 lbs. Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup large white onion, chopped
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Mapuche Style Merken Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. Minced Garlic
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro, plus 2 Tbsp. for garnish
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley, plus 2 Tbsp. for garnish
- 2 to 3 avocados
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 4 oz. vegan melting cheese, like Monterey Jack
- 1/2 cup Fresh Salsa Verde (see recipe link below)
- Tortillas for serving
Add all Savory items to cart
This recipe is featured in Spice Club, Savory's spice-of-the-month club.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown chorizo in a large, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat for about 5 min. (Add 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil if vegan chorizo is very lean and sticks to pan.) Transfer chorizo to a plate. Add tomatoes and onions to skillet. Lower heat to medium and cook for 5 to 7 min., stirring occasionally, until tomatoes soften and release their juices. Stir in tomato sauce, Merken Seasoning, garlic, 1/4 cup each cilantro and parsley, and cooked chorizo. Bring to a soft boil and cook, uncovered, for about 10 min., stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens slightly. Meanwhile slice avocados in half and scoop out each half, keeping it in tact. Use a serving spoon to make a shallow crater in the sauce and set an avocado half into the opening. Repeat for remaining avocado halves, keeping them a couple inches apart. Season avocados with salt & pepper to taste. Nestle cubes of queso into the sauce around the avocados. Transfer skillet to oven and bake, uncovered, for about 10 min. until avocados are just warmed through. Remove from oven and serve.
Serve topped with dollops of top with dollops of Fresh Salsa Verde and garnish with cilantro and parsley. Serve with tortillas.Fresh Salsa Verde and garnish with cilantro and parsley. Serve with tortillas.
Savory Spice Test Kitchen