Recipe: Vegan Tikka Masala
From the recipe creators: "We have been attempting vegan Indian food for years. This dinner was the most authentic we've ever tasted! It was sooooo good!"
- 5 Tbsp. Tikka Masala
- 5 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 lb. firm tofu, cubed
- 1/2 lb. seitan, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup fresh green pepper
- 1 cup frozen vegetables (peas, corn and carrots)
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp. Sel Marin de Guerande Grey Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. agave nectar and 3 1/2 tbsp. Tomato Powder mixed into 8 oz. water (OR 1 1/2 tsp. agave nectar and 8 oz. tomato sauce)
- 1 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 cup soy creamer
- 1/2 cup soy yogurt
Convert Tikka Masala into a smooth paste by mixing with 4 Tbsp. olive oil and 4 Tbsp. water and set aside. If using, thoroughly mix tomato powder, agave nectar and water into a smooth sauce and set aside. In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil over medium/high heat. Brown the tofu and seitan and set aside (this will create a firmer product). Lower heat to medium and saute vegetables until thawed and softened. Stir in Tikka paste and add seitan/tofu back in. Stir in lemon juice, sea salt, your tomato choice, and crushed red pepper. Cook for 3 to 4 more min. Mix together soy yogurt and soy creamer in a small bowl. Reduce heat to a simmer and stir in the yogurt mixture. Cover and simmer for 5 to 8 min., stirring occasionally.