Recipe: Veggies & Dumplings
Who says vegetarian meals can't be hearty? This is a comforting meal that will warm you on a cold day.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. Black Lampong Peppercorns
- 2 Tbsp. cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup cold buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices (about 2 cups)
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced large (about 2 cups)
- 1 large leek, halved and rinsed, white & light green parts sliced (about 1 cup)
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 5 cups water
- 1 Tbsp. Herbes de Provence Seasoning Salt
- 1 small head broccoli, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- Fresh tarragon or thyme, to garnish
This is a vegetarian version of a recipe featured in Spice Club, Savory’s spice-of-the-month club. To make this gluten-free, use an all-purpose gluten-free flour mix.
Whisk flour and baking powder in a large bowl. Place peppercorns in a small zip top bag, seal bag, and use a rolling pin to coarsely crush peppercorns. Stir crushed peppercorns into flour mix. Use a pastry cutter or fork to “cut in” butter until mixture is crumbly and no large clumps of butter remain. Pour in buttermilk and stir with a fork until a shaggy dough comes together. Use your hands to knead the dough in the bowl until it can be formed into a ball. Transfer dough to a well-floured work surface and roll out to be 1/4-inch thick, then cut into 1-inch squares.
Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add carrots, sweet potato, and leek. Cook for about 5 min., stirring frequently. Add broth, water, and seasoning salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and add dumplings a handful at a time. Bring back to a simmer and cook for 15 min. Add broccoli and peas and simmer for 10 more min. Chop fresh herbs and use to garnish before serving.