Recipe: Black Canyon Beef & Sausage Chili
This flavorful chili comes together quickly, so it makes a perfect weeknight meal. It's adaptable too; try swapping ground turkey or chicken for the beef or substitute chorizo for the Italian sausage.
- 3 lbs. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground Italian sausage
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 4 tsp. Roasted Granulated Garlic
- 6 Tbsp. Tomato Powder
- 6 Tbsp. water
- 4 Tbsp. Black Canyon Chili Powder
- 4 Tbsp. Parsley
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can white kidney beans
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can red kidney beans
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can black beans
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water, plus more as necessary
- Hot sauce to taste (optional)
This recipe will work with any of your favorite chili blends. We like it with Homestead Seasoning, Lodo Red Adobo, or Red Rocks Hickory Smoke Seasoning.
In a large Dutch oven or similar pot, cook ground beef and sausage over medium-high heat until meat starts to brown. Add onions and garlic and saute until meat is cooked through. In a small bowl, combine tomato powder and 6 Tbsp. water to make a paste. Add paste to meat mixture, then add Black Canyon and parsley flakes. Cook for 2 min., stirring until seasoning is thoroughly mixed in. Add bell peppers, beans, tomatoes, and water. Bring mixture to a simmer. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Add hot sauce if using. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 30 min., stirring occasionally. Add additional water as necessary to keep chili from sticking to bottom of pot, but the consistency of the chili should be thick.
Serve topped with sour cream, chopped red onions and fresh chives or parsley.