Chilean Merquen Seasoning
With Authentic Goat's Horn Chiles
Merquen (Merkén) spice mix was originally created by the proud indigenous people of the Mapuche Tribe. Now their humble creation is highly sought after around the globe.
We make our Chilean Merquen Seasoning from 3 ingredients: dried and smoked aji cacho de cabra (goat's horn red pepper), salt, and ground coriander. Don't let the simplicity fool you: this spice blend delivers on flavor. The smoky, earthy, bittersweet flavor of the chile peppers is perfectly balanced by the light touch of salt and warm-citrus notes of the coriander. Its coarse texture is similar to other crushed peppers like Red, Aleppo and Urfa.
With its smoky flavor, think of Merquen as your new go-to condiment to elevate a normal dish to one that is a little more exotic. From pizza to chili to burgers, the possibilities are endless!
- As a dry rub on beef, chicken, duck, lamb, pork, tofu or seafood before grilling or smoking. Sprinkle on carrots, lentils, potatoes and other sauteed or roasted vegetables.
- To flavor purees, sauces, soups and stews. For seasoning savory pies including hand pies and empanadas.
- Make traditional Chilean dishes like Pebre y Chancho en Piedra (Chilean salsa), Chacarero Chilean Steak Sandwich and Charquican.
- Add a hint of spiciness to fresh ceviche, chimichurri, guacamole and salsas. A flavorful topping to poke and protein bowls.
- Sprinkle on snacks, like olives, peanuts and popcorn to change the ordinary to extraordinary.
- Add to olive oil for bread dipping or sprinkle onto croutons before baking.
- Fold into cream cheese or other soft cheeses to create tasty spreads. Add a tablespoon or two into a cup of mayo with a splash of lime juice for an easy, flavorful dip.
- To add robust, smoky flavor to Bloody Mary cocktails.
dried and smoked aji cacho de cabra (goat's horn red pepper), salt, ground coriander