Recipe: Chai Spiced Apples
These are easy and delicious over vanilla ice cream but can also add an interesting twist as a topping for other sweet and savory dishes.
- 3 lbs. baking apples (e.g. Fuji, Gala, Golden Delicious)
- 1/2 cup apple cider or apple juice
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup Vanilla Bean Sugar (or granulated sugar or brown sugar)
- 1 Tbsp. Mt. Baker Chai Spice Seasoning
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter (optional)
Peel and core apples and cut into ¼-inch slices. In a large saucepan, combine apples with remaining ingredients except butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until apples soften, about 20 min. Stir in butter (if using) and continue to cook until butter melts, about 5 min. Remove from heat and serve.
Serve with oatmeal for breakfast, grilled pork for dinner, or over ice cream or crepes and whipped cream for dessert. Use for apple pie filling, or puree apples while they’re still warm to make an applesauce. Try them on top of our Grilled Chai Pork Chops & Gravy.