Recipe: Indian Gujarati Slaw
If ever you were looking for an excuse to try asafetida, this slaw should be it. Its pungent flavor pairs perfectly with the sweet coconut, spicy jalapeño, and crunchy charnushka seeds in this Indian-inspired salad.
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 1/2 tsp. Asafetida
- 1 cup dry roasted unsalted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Charnushka Seeds
- 3/4 tsp. Organic Ground Turmeric
- 1 medium head green cabbage, shredded (about 8 cups) or 24 oz. pre-shredded coleslaw mix
- 1 cup dried unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 to 3 fresh jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. Fine Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
Prepare all ingredients and have them ready to go next to a 12-inch skillet or wok. Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add asafetida, peanuts and charnushka and cook for 30 seconds to 1 min., stirring. Add turmeric and stir. Add cabbage and stir until coated with seasoned oil. Cook until lightly wilted. Add the following one at a time, stirring in each ingredient before adding the next: coconut, jalapeños, sugar and salt. Total cooking time for above should be about 5 to 7 min. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro, green onions and lime juice.
Serve warm, at room temperature or cold. The overall flavor improves with age.