Behind the Seasoning: Saffron & Chanterelle Risotto
We’re making home cooking even simpler with our Saffron & Chanterelle Risotto Spice ‘n Easy recipe mix. It comes with just about everything you need to get dinner on the table quickly.
What is Saffron Risotto?
Risotto is a dish from northern Italy. The traditional preparation calls for the rice to first be sautéed in butter, then broth to be added slowly. The resulting dish is much creamier than other rice preparations.
There are nearly endless options for customizing the flavor and ingredients of this simple & delicious dish, but saffron is traditional and gives Risotto alla Milanese its signature golden hue.
What makes this Spice ‘n Easy so special?
- It includes the rice and vegan chicken stock powder. So you don't need to buy rice or broth to make this. You probably already have butter on hand, so the only ingredient you might need to buy is Parmesan cheese. This makes it a great "keep in the pantry" item for dinner in a hurry.
- After much testing, we found a method that (unlike the traditional recipe) doesn't require you to stand over a hot stove, stirring constantly. It's a lot more hands-off, making it a much easier option for weeknight dinners (and busy people!)
- It features two exquisite signature ingredients: saffron & chanterelle mushrooms. Saffron, the world’s most expensive spice, lends its romantic flavor and vibrant yellow hue to this luxurious dish. Chanterelle Mushrooms, a difficult-to-find variety of mushroom, are prized for their tender texture and delicious flavor.
How Easy is this Risotto?
To show you how simple this recipe really is, some Savory team members tried it out in the Test Kitchen and at home. Watch the video to see the results (which also includes cameos by a cat named Oliver and and a dog named Teddy, so...)!
What to Serve With Saffron Risotto
This Spice 'n Easy can be a simple and satisfying entrée by itself, but if you want to serve it as a side, there are plenty of options.
- Salad: Saffron Scallops and Snow Pea Salad
- Fish: Herbed Fish and Fennel en Papillote
- Chicken: Lemon Chicken Cacciatore
- Pork: Red Wine Grilled Pork & Apples
- Beef: Roman Pepper Steak
How to Make Risotto Balls
This Spice 'n Easy serves 6 (more if you are using it as a first course or side dish). It might not be a problem if you're feeding a crowd but what if you end up with leftover risotto?
Risotto will continue to absorb liquid even after you take it off the stove. So leftover risotto can become overly thick and somewhat gluey. While you can add a bit of liquid to thin out leftovers, we have another suggestion...
You can make addictive Arancini (fried risotto balls) with the leftovers
All you have to do is form cold risotto into balls, roll in flour, dip in beaten egg, and coat in bread crumbs before frying in 375 degree oil until golden brown. Pair with our Rustic Red Sauce Spice ‘n Easy for a simple appetizer or snack (including Mardi Gras and Oscar parties)!